Friday, December 09, 2005

New York, New York

Juz came back from 3 days in New York. As my brother was there... it was 3 art-filled days...

Spent the first day in MoMA where I was mesmerized by Monet's triptych and Pollack's huge drip-art painting. Also saw a number of paintings that I've only heard of before.. Dali's Persistence of Memory, Van Gogh's Starry Night... There was also an amazing photograph gallery. It snowed at night when we were at West 4th...

2nd day was back to Chelsea's art galleries. There was a collection called Liquidation that I fell in love with... the dreamy landscapes and secretive trees... If I have the money... I'll definitely buy at least 2-3 of the works... We split up to different shows at night and I went to Altar Boyz, an off-broadway production that had all its audience in stitches. It was great fun althou I felt it could have gone deeper. But the songs were wonderful and it had a lot of heart in it. They got a standing ovation and the entire theatre setting was very intimate which is what I liked. For a TKTS ticket, I sat 3rd row centre which was unbelievable luck by itself. The theatre itself left an impression. Its the same theatre we watched Naked Boys Singing in, but I didn't notice it at that time. Its a cineplex converted into a 5-theatre ...erm.. theatreplex? Quite unique in a sense and thus all the theatres are quite small.

3rd day morning was spent wandering around the snow-covered Central Park while my brother searched for the elusive Bethesda fountain. We started from our hostel st. at 106th and walked by the Conservatory and North Meadows which is a area I've never explored before. Spent approx 2 hours simply crossing from one point to another... after which I left for my play while they went off to the Met.

Watched Seascape by Edward Albee...It was a very deep play with a veneer of comedy... I originally thought it was about the relationship between an old couple, the quirks and the way they live and think together... however, when the lizards appear, everything took on a different dimension. It turned out to be about evolution instead... but it still seems to be able to play another way... Went to Albee's Q&A session at the Lincoln at 630 and after hearing his piece and seeing the way he answer questions... I came out with more questions than answers... Its a really interesting play. For a play written 30 years back, its still very much related to the current day situations... or perhaps its becoz people never really changes...

Had some time in between before I was to meet my mom and brother for the Wicked lottery, so I went to the library... took some time to walk through the Christmas Fair at Bryant Park which really gets one into the X'mas spirit. All the red and green and white tents done up in sparkling lights and twines... the little trinkets... There was a couple of exhibitions in the library as well to take up my time and Astor Hall was simply beautiful... a huge Christmas Tree with all the golden light reflecting off the marbled halls and steps...

Left the library slightly late and did a 10 block sprint from the 40th and 5th to the 50th and 8th in order to make it for the lottery which of coz we didn't win... argh. But In My Life cancelled on us so we'll try for the cancellation line on our last night in New York..

Anyway, one amazing piece of news... was on a search for this cosy restaurant on the Upper West Side...above 63rd... that P and I went to on our first trip to NYC. Remembered it had a fireplace and the food was delicious... I always thought that I read about it in my trusty DK guide but after a couple of searches, I could never find it. Spent almost an hour trawling up and down between 69th to 71st yest. afternoon with no luck. I almost gave up and thought it a lost cause. But yesterday night, mom and I left Lincoln for dinner and was just walking up Colombus planning to stop at the first promising restaurant, I actually saw it! W 68th St.! I almost couldn't believe my eyes! And the place is still the same with the roaring fireplace and we were sat right back at the same table. The dinner menu isn't as good as the brunch menu we ate the first time but the smoked salmon is still delicious. I'm so happy that I found it again :)

Was almost late for my 10pm bus at Chinatown.. did a sprint down Canel St (I seem to be running everywhere yesterday) and just made it in time. Left at 10pm and reached Boston at 2am... Slept through most of the trip...

And now its the first lazy day I've had in weeks... woke up at 12 and cooked lunch with P and JL... going to spend the day doing absolutely nothing....

No comments:

Post a Comment