Wednesday, December 21, 2005

August Wilson

Now Playing: Brahms Lullabye - Kenny G

When flipping open the Playbill for Altar Boyz, I was struck by the first page with line “two weeks to the day after playwright August Wilson died of cancer…”

I’m not really familiar with the works of August Wilson, having never watched any of his ten renowned long plays, but I did meet him once in Seattle in his solo autobiographical monologue, The August Wilson Project, subtitled How I learned what I learned. My major impression was the plate on the door stating that the play will run for 4 hours and 30-sth minutes which made P want to go home straightaway… it turned out to be joke on how long his plays always run.

I don’t actually remember much of the content of his monologue on his life but for bits and pieces… I remember that his life wasn’t easy and admired him of making so much out of it. I remember him as a somewhat cynical man who have seen a lot and done a lot, someone old and tough but not lacking in wit and extremely sharp. P actually remembers more details…

I didn’t know who August Wilson was when I decided to queue for the show at Seattle Rep. Theatre 2 years ago; it was more of an impulse thing… I still didn’t know who August Wilson was when we left but for the fact that this is one guy that has really lived his life… and now thinking back… I don’t think he has any regrets….

And I guess that’s all I know now about him...as a person that has really lived his life. And for that fact, I feel really lucky that we had a chance to see him and hear him share about his life… I’m glad we didn’t leave that night at seeing the plate stating that the play will run for 4 hours…

No comments:

Post a Comment