Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Drama course and notes...

Now Playing: 昨天 - 梁静茹

Just got in and falling asleep over the keyboard, but wanna write some notes about today’s course before I forget…

I found today’s course a good refresher course… after teaching for half a year, somehow, I forgot what it is like to be a student, the easiness of it, simply taking in all the teacher has to give, the joy of learning…

Actually, a lot of what is touched on today is stuff that we learnt back in the drama technique course in NIE, but of coz, there’s always something new to learn. 温故知新. To learn from revising the old. Plus the fact that I realized I actually forgot a lot of what I learnt back than… after been caught up in the daily grind of teaching. And Qingliang’s class is always fun, filled with games. All of us are teachers, and more than half teachers that have been teaching for more than a few years, but all of us were like kids again when playing the games…

Some notes on the games:

- Push/Pull – which do you like best? Trust issues
- 1,2,3 tongue twister – gets progressively harder with sounds and actions
- Angel/Devil – good for doing reflection on choice and prejudice
- 7 doors – erm, too loud. Not a good idea to do in class
- Blind guiding (stepping back and forth) – trust issues
- Seeking hand/Vampire – more blindfolded games. Not really suitable but good for doing reflections afterwards
- Tableaux/Image – solo and multiple, very workable on training creativity and observation skills
- Image construction/modeling (line up in 2 rows) – good for training observation skills and memories. And kids will love it for the chance to sabotage friends as we did today!

Tableaux is a very good idea which I remember making a note of back in NIE, but forgot all about when I started school. Hm… pictorial image would also be a way to work it in. Kinda similar to the changed ending idea that I did, except this will be using visual stimuli instead of words.

Qingliang touched on the issue of edging in which I found thought provoking. A lot of times, I find myself making subconscious decisions to stay in my comfort zone instead of taking steps to change the environment around me… hiding instead of facing… hmm…

Praxis: Action + Reflection. Too often, language lessons focuses too much on reflection without action…

K, that’s enough of the course… Met JX after the course today and we went to the Ark for dinner. The Monday group turned out to be a pleasant surprise. The vocal instructor that I went to check out was very impressive. Its not so much his technique which was good, but the fact that he sings with genuine feelings….it makes one really sit up and listen when he sings… Also, there was a female singer that actually knows all the folk music that I asked for and almost sang every single one of my requests :p The group has a lot of chemistry as well and works well together. Not to forget, the company was wonderful as well : ) Its always lovely to meet up with Jx…. he really gave me a shock when I saw him all dressed up for his interview. We are so different from when we first met all the way back in jc… all the changes and different stages of life… We don’t meet all that often any more due to work and life commitments, but he remains the only guy friend I’m totally comfortable with; somehow, we’ve been through so much and seen each other through the years… He’s someone I know would understand me no matter what decisions I make and someone I know who will still be my friend no matter what changes in my life… And he had some great news today as well! Congrats again : ) You deserve it and I do hope all goes well for you.

And now, as someone reminded me… I have to wake up at an unearthly hour again tmr… so its off to bed…

No comments:

Post a Comment